Friday, April 2, 2021

SERIOUSLY. This just happened to me. LinkedIn SPAM!

LinkedIn has become a very interesting place.   Hasn't all social media for that matter?   LinkedIn isn't quite as bad as things like Facebook, but it is quickly becoming a tool that seems to be a place where people connect with people they don't know simply to pitch them.

I know sales is hard.  But really, people buy from people they like right?  I still strongly believe that to be true, and I work hard to build relationships in my sales process.  I know it is old school, but it still works  

LinkedIn or some other tool is also often used.  LinkedIn Sales Navigator as an example.  You pay for automated messages on platforms like LinkedIn.  You are supposed to be able to target your audience based on metrics.

Well, let me tell you.  Whatever these people are using, doesn't work.

1.  I get spam/pitch messages from people at least 20 times a day on LinkedIn,

2.  Often they have scheduled 5 or 6 plus messages in a couple of weeks time.  Each unsolicited pitch frustrates me a bit more.

3.  Often the messages are for industries or things that A., I have no idea what they are talking about, so clearly I am not a prospect. or B., they are for a business or industry I have NEVER been in.

Today?  This was a doozie.

I received this message and a connection request.

  • Hey Lori, Your gym looks like a great asset to the community! I help gyms like yours attract more members through advanced social media marketing! Interested? Reply YES or NO. If you're REALLY interested, send me your number or email and I will reach out to you.

My response:
  • Lori A sent the following message at 10:31 AM
    View Lori’s profile
    Lori A 

    OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY   Word.   I didn't know I owned a gym.   What a joke.  Your automated spam isn't working right.

His response:
  • Dustin Wagner sent the following message at 10:34 AM
    View Dustin’s profile
    Dustin W 

    I’m sorry that it sent to you. I’d encourage you to be more loving. The king of love died yesterday over 2000 thousand years ago. Repent, and turn to him lest you perish in the way. But blessed are all who take refuge in him.

What an interesting sales approach.  Telling someone to repent because they called you out on a "spammy" LinkedIn connection request.   Just in case it wasn't clear, I HAVE NEVER OWNED OR WORKED AT A GYM.  Worked out, yes, but nothing else.

Oh and the major irony?  He sells digital marketing services.  Honestly the lack of attention to detail and the poor quality of sales efforts by some, simply makes me tired.

Do better.




If you like what you read, please share it!

====================================================
Lori Hanken has been in sales and marketing for over 30 years. She is passionate about service and providing value to her vendors, prospects and clients. Lori is currently co-owner of Total Displays with her husband David. They help people look great at events, trade shows, in retail, museums and develop long partnerships with customers and suppliers. If you would like to learn more, email her at lori@totaldisplays.com. She is an open networker, connect with her on LinkedIn here.

Read other Total Displays Blog posts at http://totaldisplays.blogspot.com/ or check out our website at www.totaldisplays.com    

No comments:

Post a Comment