Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Does Your Trade Show Partner Listen?

 I want to talk about hair cuts.  Yup, haircuts. How many of you have gone to a hair stylist or a barber and told them what you wanted and came out with something that looked nothing like what you expected. When I was younger, I talked my Mom into taking me to a very high end hair salon. With that high end hair salon, came a high end price. I insisted they were the bees knees and they would make me look amazing. I'll keep it short and sweet, when I left there? I was sobbing. My head and hair looked like a bubble. It was the worst hair cut I have ever gotten. There may have been an I told you so or two on the car ride home. Have you ever had a haircut from someone new and then go back to your old stylist to fix it after?  Yup. Been there, done that. Or my favorite. I said, "I don't want layers". Guess what I got? Yup, LAYERS and lots of them.


So, how does this all relate to trade shows, exhibits, sales, and Total Displays. We just got a verbal from a new client on a new 10 x 20 display. I asked who the competitor was and was told the story of why they chose us. The bottom line was, WE LISTENED. 

Our discussions revolved around the fact that this client wanted a high end look but was not looking for a high end price. That may seem counter-intuitive, but honestly, with a good partner that has a lot of product options available, it is possible. Now, be sure you understand, that doesn't mean we are sacrificing quality. There are ways to still have a good, clean, professional look in a trade show exhibit without breaking the bank.

Our competitor came in with a lovely product with a price 5.5 times the price of ours. Yes, you read that right 5.5 times. I am sure it is clear why we won the business. 

Here is a short list of what to look for in a trade show exhibit provider/partner (note, the use of the word partner).

1. A wide range of products lines.  This means that your partner is not restricted or married to just one manufacturer or product line. This gives you the most options from which to choose.

2. The ability to work with and have a relationship with the owners/decision makers at the exhibit company. Or to flip that statement, you aren't working with just a commissioned sales rep.  Commissioned sales reps often don't dream of sugar plums, they dream of dollar signs. By having access to or working with an owner, you have a better chance of them understanding budgets and being respectful of them (oh, trust me, I know that is not always the case, but find a partner where you know you can trust them.)  

You can read a story about a sore loser/owner HERE.

3. Open communications. We always say that we are a tell it like it is company. We will tell you the truth and the good or bad about any situation. We don't like surprises and we don't like hidden fees.

4. Ask about all fees, design, shipping, project management fees, account management fees. Make sure you understand them all. 

We are human. We are NOT perfect. But, we always strive to offer our best products and service to everyone that comes in our door, or works with us. We want to earn your business and then we want to be good enough to keep your business.

No comments:

Post a Comment